Frequently Asked Questions
What's so different about your courses?
On our courses, unlike any other language course in the UK, we integrate three social outings with classroom-based learning. Over the ten-week course based in our Old Street offices we get you out to central London venues speaking Spanish and learning new lingo. We also get you learning with two qualified teachers in every classroom and provide you with a powerful self-assessment toool to track your own progress - the Stripey Spanish Passport. This course is like no other and is seriously shaking things up in the world of teaching - carefully crafted and implementing the best in language teaching approaches it's practical, social and effective.
Are there additional costs?
Food/drink/specialist tuition expenses for social lessons not included. The additional cost for social lessons depends on the course and is £75. The total is payable before the start of the first lesson.
There are two workbooks for the course (£8-£15 each from online retailers). These same books will be in courses Level 1-5.
What level is the first course and do I need any prior knowledge?
The Level 1 course is for complete beginners - no previous knowledge of Spanish is required.
Will I receive a certificate?
Yes, at the end of each course you will receive a Stripey Spanish certificate of atttendance provided you have attended 70% of the course.
What's the teaching approach?
The course is based on the communicative approach with a strong practical and social element. We also encourage meta-learning getting you to develop skills in how to learn a language and to be aware of your progress.
- We get you out to real places with fun events to get you speaking and listening to real Spanish in a social context;
- the focus is on speaking and listening skills;
- work in pairs and groups with others;
- carry out mini challenges online each week to see your progress and apply your skills;
- see the classroom come to life with games, role plays and real-life materials;
- digital media and film used for learning;
- use a group chat on your smartphone for practise between lessons;
- benefit from peer and self-assessment alongside teacher-assessment to measure your progress;
- you’ll be expected to participate in classroom activities and to complete tasks at home regularly.
What materials will I need?
You’ll need to buy two workbooks the start of the courses - these two books will be used across Levels 1-5 to support your learning.
What level should I start with?
We currently offer Level 1, Level 2 and Level 3. Levels 4 and 5 are set to start in 2019. Try our 10-minute level test to help determine which level you should begin with.
What if I have to miss a lesson?
If you know you may have to miss a lesson we've got you covered! Built into our courses are special catch-up packs with resources and activities that we send in advance to those that know they will be away for one or two lessons. On top of that we have an app and an online platform which means you won't be too far from the action.
However, if you think that you will miss more than two lessons contact us and speak to the crew about your options.
How will my progress be assessed?
We believe quality feedback and assessment are important tools to propel you forward in your learning.We provide formative assessment in several ways on our courses:
1. Practical speaking role plays - the teacher listens to these and gives you written feedback at the end of the course giving you feedback across a number of key indicators of progress.
2. The 'Stripey Spanish passport' has comprehensive self-assment guidance for you to measure your own ability and pinpoint areas you still need to work on.
3. Tests - simple vocab or grammar tests during the course.